Monday, October 21, 2013

Buckwheat Gluten Free Pancakes

I was scrolling around GF sites the other day, and saw a request for GF pancakes, asking which flours work best. Well, the first thing that came to mind was Buckwheat (not actually of the wheat family). However, I have had varying success with pancake recipes. Sometimes they end up too runny, too thick, no flavour etc. I thought I would try a different flout combo and see how it turned out: half buckwheat and one quarter sweet rice flour (which I use in my pastry), and one quarter tapioca starch.
A winning combination in my books- the kids did not even ask if they were GF. The texture was great, the flavour delicious, the even LOOKED like"real" pancakes. Forgot to take pics- story of my life!!
Here it is:

Buckwheat Gluten Free Pancakes

1 cup milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup sweet rice flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp xantham gum
1 egg
2 Tb melted butter

Mix together milk and vinegar- set aside for 5 minutes while you combine other ingredients.
(The milk/vinegar combo mimics buttermilk, a good substitution for me because I never have buttermilk!)
Combine dry ingredients, and blend well.
Add egg and butter to milk mixture. Whisk flour mixture into wet until smooth. Adjust with additional milk if you want a thinner pancake.
Let sit for 10-15 minutes, then cook on griddle over med heat.
HINT: if you have any leftover pancakes (I had one) you can make a nice rustic yet decadent dessert by sprinkling the pancakes with chocolate chips and popping in the oven until melty but still holding their form. Drizzle with syrup.
I do love leftovers...

No comments: